Thursday, March 01, 2007

Laughing Out Loud for VDay



So I was writing this whole post on religion and God before. I was all about it. But then I went to go see my friend perform in the Vagina Monologues and talking about God after just wasn't/isn't the spot I'm in. haha.

ANYway, so tonight my wonderful, graceful, amazing, gal pal Jessica performed in the Vagina Monologues. I've been looking forward to this for a long time. To explain the significance of tonight I have to tell you about Jess.

You see Jess and I knew each other when we lived in this tore up two bedroom apartment with eight people and a hole in the wall in Alexandria, VA for close to 4 months. Our only decor in that apartment was a map of the DC Metro we stole one night, when all of us were out late/early. That 4 months, for all of its cramped one bathroom frustrations, was fantastic. It was living the way you live when you are 20 and are working in Non-Profit and figuring out the cheapest way to be young, have fun and survive.

I always have loved Jess. From the first time I met her, I found sisterhood in her ability to laugh just as loud as I did giving a rats ass who was watching. She's always had mad cool style, a great being, a peaceful nature, even at 20 she was just as graceful and individual as the woman she's grown into being.

So tonight as I sat there and watched my friend, I laughed loudly. This would not have been such a big deal, but its an open dress rehersal. There are literally 10 other people there. I have to be one of the only people laughing. So I giggle all the time, its a part of the person I am, but if you've ever seen me throw my head back and laugh with all the joy I got, its really... embarrassing for some people. Not me, but if I got company, I feel the need to warn people. haha. So as I sat there, flowers in hand, watching someone that I've known for years scream "CUNT" and "CONO" (Cunt in spanish but I don't know how to do a tilde on a PC) at the top of her lungs, and do a "Militant Bisexuals" orgasm. I can't help it. I was laughing hysterically.

There was such a reclamation in the play. An owning of female power that is just remarkable. And there I sat and watched my friend be a foot soldier in claiming it. Damn straight. We always knew it would be this way. Its wonderful watching her be exactly what she was always meant to be. This light of freedom. She's just a fuckin inspiration. There, in a room full of women, I felt absolutely beautiful. Words are powerful, and really, so are my friends.

No comments: